Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Meet My Plot

My plot is surrounded by Calvin College's Ecosystem preserve and is on the edge of the East Beltline where it receives a fair amount of human activity; though mostly on well- defined woodchip trails. The trails and stream provide definite markers for the beginning and end of this land, and though it is not a perfect square it serves its purpose for a plot study. Mostly covered in trees, this plot also includes bodies of water and is on the edge of a large field. The trees all appear to be deciduous, but have yet to turn into their beautiful colors, still holding on to summer. Many small animals such as squirrels, chipmunks, snakes, etc. live in this preserve; though I have heard mention of a strange orange squirrel like creature walking on its hind legs. I chose this plot because it was easily accessible, especially after sports practice, and because I know the area well from past science adventures.Now while I would not advise tasting anything from this nature preserve, the other senses are stimulated through the rich colors, earthy smells and general calm of the area. I think this plot study will be an interesting experience and am glad this will give me a chance to get back into nature, even if only for a short time.

1 comment: